After generating, you can review the payroll details frequency-wise and update, if necessary. This section gives the steps to review the payrolls. It also gives steps to perform some other actions.
To view the information, click on the links below, as required.
- Viewing Pay Summary Per Employee
- Viewing Employee-wise Payroll Details
- Viewing Payroll Details Per Employee
- Viewing and Updating Employee Payroll Details
- Marking an Employee a Leaver
- Updating Payslip Settings
- Viewing Payslip
- Printing and Emailing Payslip
- Bulk Printing and Emailing Payslips
To view the steps to complete these actions, click below, as required.
Viewing Pay Summary Per Employee
1. On the Payslips page, click for the required employee and then click Details.
2. View the summary.
Viewing Employee-wise Payroll Details
Complete the following steps.
1. On the Payslip page, click the employee name under the EMPLOYEE heading.
2. The PAYROLL DETAILS page shows the employee salary, leave, if any, and the total deductions.
Viewing and Updating Employee Payroll Details
After creating payroll, you may need to update the payroll. This topic gives the steps to update. Note that you are not allowed to update a finalised payroll. If you have already finalised, re-open first.
1. On the Run Payroll page, click the required payroll period.
2. The payslip page appears. Click the required employee name under the Employee heading.
3. The PAYROLL DETAILS page appears. Update the payroll, as applicable.
4. To save the updated payroll for this employee, click Save. To update more payrolls in the same frequency of the same payroll period, click Save & Next.
Marking an Employee a Leaver
You can set the last working day of an employee and mark as leaver, subject to certain conditions. You can mark the employee a leaver on the last generated payroll period or the payroll period preceding the last generated payroll period.
1. On the Payroll Details page, tick Finishing this Period? and set the leaving date under Finish Date.
|The leaving date can be during the last generated payroll period or the period preceding that.|
2. If the leaver date is prior the last payroll period, you get the following confirmation message.
|Leave date cannot be set if holiday or advance pay is already processed for the employee.|
3. To save the changes, click Save. If you have set the employee leave date, the following message appears.
4. To commit the leave date, click Yes. The P45 is generated and the leave date becomes available in the FINISH DATE field on the Employment tab. From 2019 onwards, no P45 will be generated and only the leave date will be available on the FINISH DATE field on the Employment tab.
Updating Payslip Settings
The payslip settings allows you to update certain components of an employee payroll such as revenue calculation basis -- Cumulative, Week/Month 1 or Emergency, department, payment method and CSO.
1. The Run Payroll page shows the custom frequencies and payroll structure under various heads.
2. On the Payslip page, click the required employee name.
3. The PAYROLL DETAILS page appears. Update the required details. Note that the changes will affect the payslip.
4. Click Edit Payroll Settings. Note that you can edit payslip settings only if the payslip is not finalised.
5. The payroll settings window appears. On the payroll settings page, update the settings by clicking the tabs, as required.
|For a new employee, the Exclude from CSO option under the CSO tab will be ticked by default unless you have already unticked it in the employee details.|
6. You can now exempt the employee from PRSI contributions for one or more payroll periods and restore the contributions from any future payroll period, if needed. The employee needs to provide a reason for exemption. Under the Revenue tab, scroll and select PRSI Exempt (Only to be used on receipt of a written instruction from the relevant authority).
7. When you select the above option, the PRSI CATEGORY is hidden and you are required to select an appropriate reason for exemption from the PRSI EXEMPTION REASON list.
|When the PRSI is exempted, the insurable time periods, for example, the weeks in a month, in a payroll period become zero and the PRSI status of the employee is shown as ‘PRSI Exempted’ in the payroll settings.|
8. To save the changes, click Save.
1. On the Run Payroll page, select the required frequency and then, under the Period column, click the required period.
2. The Run Payroll page appears. On the Run Payroll page, under the Period column, click the required period.
3. On the payslip page, click for the corresponding employee name and from the inline menu, click View Payslip.
4. The Payslip Preview page shows the employee payslip.
|The column Gross Pay under the heading YEAR TO DATE includes the USC-able pay to date for the employee, if applicable. For that, the employee payments need to be available in the mid-year section of the employee details.|
Viewing COVID Changes
The COVID feature allows the user to view the maximum Wage Subsidy and maximum Additional Top Up Payment allowed for the Employee being currently calculated.
|This feature is available until 31st August, 2020.|
To use the COVID feature, complete the following steps.
1. Run the payroll for the required frequency.
2. On the Run Payroll page, select the generated frequency.
3. On the Run Payroll page, click the payroll period.
4. On the payslips page, click the required employee name.
5. The Payroll Details page appears. Click the COVID - 19 button.
6. View the COVID changes in the window.
Printing and Emailing Payslip
Before emailing the payslip, ensure that you have configured the required email settings in the Settings section of Surf Payroll. It is mandatory to password-protect all payslips. You can send the password to the employee in either of the two ways:
- Set the password when you create an employee and agree when Surf Payroll asks whether you want to send the password. See steps here.
- Set the password later. The steps are given below.
After you set the password and complete any of the previous steps, the employee receives a separate email containing the password.
1. View payslip.
2. To print, on the Payslip Preview page, click Print.
3. To email, on the Payslip Preview page, click Send via Email.
4. When you click Send via Email button, either of the following happens:
- You need to set the password because you have not yet set the payslip password.
- You have already set the password but have chosen not to send it to the employee.
- The steps for both the scenarios above are given below.
You need to set the password because you have not yet set the payslip password
1. On the payslip page, click for the required employee and click View Payslip.
2. The Payslip Preview page appears. Click Send via Email.
3. The Employee Email & Password Details window appears. Set and confirm the password.
4. Click Save.
5. A Confirmation Message window appears. To send the password, click OK, else, to cancel, click Cancel. If you click Cancel, the password will not be sent and you can send it later from the settings.
10. The Send Email window appears. To send the payslip, click Send. You may optionally enter body message.
1. On the payslip page, select the required employees and click Email.
2. If you have not set password for one or more employees, you are required to set it first and click Save. The passwords will be sent.
You have already set the password but have chosen not to send it to the employee.
1. On the left panel, click Settings.
2. The Settings page appears. Under the EMAIL heading, click the Email Templates.
3. The Email Templates page appears. Click the Password tab.
4. Under the Password tab, tick the required employee or, to select all employees, tick Select All.
5. To send the password, click Send Email. The employee receives an email containing the payslip password.
Bulk Printing and Emailing Payslips
1. Move to the payslip page and select all required payslips.
2. To print the selected payslips, on the payslip page, click Print.
3. To email the selected payslips, on the payslip page, click Email.
4. The Employee Email & Password Details window appears. Set and confirm the payslip password and click Save.
5. The Send Email window appears. To send the email, click Send.