When a Business makes zero payments to its employees, monetary values of certain components in the salary structure such as salary, Director's Fees and Additions are reduced to zero. However, the employee may still be entitled to benefits such as Benefits in Kind, parenting or insurance. Depending on the value of the benefits, the employee may still need to pay PAYE, USC and PRSI. The Business needs to record zero payments by finalising the relevant payslips.
To remove payroll, you need to first move to the Run Payroll page. However, after you log in to Surf Payroll, there can be either of the following scenarios:
- The logged in account has a single Business
- The logged in account has multiple Businesses
The steps to move to the Run Payroll page are different in each of the above scenarios. The steps are provided below scenario-wise.
|If your business has payrolls not submitted prior the current date, Surf Payroll displays a message recommending you submit them soon.
1. Log in to Surf Payroll.
2. The Dashboard page appears. On the left panel, click Payroll>Run Payroll.
1. Log in to Surf Payroll and find the required Business.
2. The Employees page appears. On the left panel, click Payroll>Run Payroll.
|You can sort columns in the ascending or descending order. To sort, click on the column name.
Now that you are on the Run Payroll page, complete the following steps.
1. The Manage Payroll page shows the custom frequencies and payroll structure under various heads.
2. On the Manage Payroll page, from the Frequency list, select the required custom frequency and click Run Payroll.
3. The Payroll Process page appears. On the Payroll Process page, click Yes.
4. The payroll summary of all employees for that period is displayed. On the payslip summary page, click corresponding to the required employee and from the inline menu, click Do Not Pay. Note that you must not finalise the payslips.
5. The Confirmation Message window appears. On the Confirmation Message window, click Process.
The zero payments request is processed and the Payroll Details page appears. See the images below.
Prior to Zero Pay
After Zero Pay
|To reverse the zero payment request and restore the original salary, on the Payroll Details page, click Reset.
When the Director's Fees and Lump sum Leaver components are included as part of the employee compensation, the monetary values are unaffected by the Do Not Pay option. After the payslip is generated, the values are added to the YTD Gross Pay heading in the payslip. See the image below.