The Bank Accounts functionality allows you to set up custom bank account types, for example, current or savings bank account, and connect these to your bank accounts. Thereafter, you can perform actions such as import bank feeds or statements, reconcile between Surf Accounts balance and bank feeds and more. Surf Accounts provides a few bank account types by default. The default and custom bank account types you define are all listed in the Chart of Accounts.
The steps to the various actions you can perform with the Bank Accounts functionality are given below.
- Defining Custom Account Type for your Bank
- Connecting Custom Bank Account Type to Bank Account
- Viewing Available Bank Account Types
- Recording Business Transactions
- Viewing Statements
- Viewing Bank Accounts
To add a custom bank account type, complete the following steps.
1. Log in and click the required business.
2. The Customers page appears. On the left panel, click Banking > Bank Accounts.
3. The Bank Accounts page appears. To set up your custom bank account type, click Add Bank Account.
4. The Add Bank Account page appears. Enter the following details.
|BANK NAME||To select a bank, click . If your bank is not available, select Others. If your bank name is available on the list, then the bank name with logo will be displayed when the account type is added, else, no bank name or logo will be displayed.|
|BANK ACCOUNT NAME||Enter the bank account type, for example, current or savings.|
|ACCOUNT NUMBER||Enter the bank account number.|
|DEFAULT IMPORT FILE||Set the default bank feed file name which must be imported in the CSV format.|
|BANK REFERENCE||Bank reference.|
|NOMINAL CODE||Enter a nominal code between 771 - 784. The custom nominal code is added to the chart of accounts.|
5. Click Save.
6. The custom bank account type is set up on the Bank Accounts page.
1. On the Bank Accounts page, click Connect to my Bank for the corresponding custom account type you had set up.
2. Surf Accounts now seeks your consent to connect to your bank account. Click Continue.
3. The Select your bank window appears. A few icons representing banks are shown by default. If those are not you want to connect to, search for your bank in the search box. After successful validation, you will be required to log in to your bank account so it is connected to Surf Accounts.
4. Validate the captcha.
5. In the window that appears, click Continue.
6. Log in to the bank account and it is connected.
7. Note that post connection, the Load Bank Feed button appears. Click the button.
8. The New Bank Feed page appears. From the Automatic Bank Feed tab, you can load and import bank feed directly from the bank account.
Note: If you already have connected accounts and attempt to connect another account to a bank account, you will be given choice of the selected accounts or a new account. See the image below. To connect to a different account, select Other.
When you select a bank account type while recording a customer invoice receipt or paying a supplier invoice, you record a transaction which you can view on the bank account type.
When you record a customer invoice receipt or pay a supplier invoice, select the bank account.
The example below shows the selection of the bank account while creating a customer invoice receipt. The transaction is recorded with the bank account type.
The recording date of the transaction must be in the same financial year as that set in settings.
You can view both default and custom bank account types available.
1. Log in. The Business page appears.
2. On the Business page, click to open the required Business. The Customers page appears.
3. On the left panel, click Banking > Bank Accounts.
4. The Bank Accounts page shows the default and custom, if any, bank account types.
5. To view the transaction summary of a specific bank account, on the Bank Accounts page, click on the amount.
6. The account page displays the transaction summary on that account. To customise the period range for viewing transactions, select Custom
7. Specify the custom period and click Run.
To view the bank account statement, complete the following steps.
2. On the Bank Accounts page, click for the required bank account and click Statement.
3. The statement is shown.
4. To view the details of a particular record, select the record and click Open.
5. The record details are shown.
Surf Accounts allows you to access and view your bank accounts. To view, complete the following steps.
1. View the default bank accounts page.
2. On the bank accounts page, click for the required bank account and click Open.
3. The Edit Bank Account page appears. Update the details, if necessary and click Save.
You can reconcile a bank account as many times as required. To reconcile, complete the following steps.
2. On the Bank Accounts page, click for the required bank account and click Reconcile. .
3. The Bank Reconciliation page appears. On the Bank Reconciliation page, in the New Bank Reconciliation window, click Save. The Bank Reconciliation page appears.
4. The Bank Reconciliation page shows the reconciled balance under the heading Reconciled Balance.
5. To complete reconciliation, select Bank Reconciliation Complete and click Save.
6. The Bank Accounts page shows the date the account was last reconciled. Post the current reconciliation, you can reconcile as soon as new transactions are recorded on the account.